Submitted by Design Diary
How to Shop and Select the Perfect Area Rugs for your home!
An area rug is a great way to add the finishing touch to any room. As well as adding style to your decor, area rugs have several practical benefits.
- They add warmth, intimacy and reducing noise levels.
- They anchor a living room setting by defining its boundaries , which in turn helps to unify and complete a room
- Finally through its design and character, an area rug can provide a focal point and a splash of color. Learn more about choosing the right rug pattern.
The Truth & Nothing but the Truth! There may be links or ads on our site that pay us a commisson if you "click" and purchase something... Thanks! (it helps us keep the lights on! ) Now you may keep on reading!
What Size? Area rugs are available in various shapes and sizes.
For a living room, the rug shold be at least the same length and width of the furnishings. It looks best when both the front and back legs of the furnishings are on the carpet.
For a dining room the chair legs should still sit on top of the rug, even when some one is seated.An easy way to determine the rug size needed, measure the width and length of your table - add a minimum of 3' to each measurement.
Common Rug Sizes
- Living rooms will use 6' x 9' and 8' x 10'
- Smaller rooms and bedrooms will use 4' x 6' or 5' x 7'
- Dining room tables will need at least 8' wide area rugs
Style When choosing a rug style, think about the overall ambiance you are after. Is the room style: casual, traditional, country, or contemporary?
- Country- Victorian, "old world" or English country themes consider an aubusson or faded oriental rug. Also, consider a tribal, or nubby geometric for a Mexican country interior.
- Contemporary- High tech, urban stream line rooms work well with the contrasting texture offered by a shag rug. Another alternative is a lesther bound sisal, or flat pile commercial rug.
- Eclectic/Global- Select a fun faux zebra, leopard or tiger rug for a striking ethnic twist. Mix it in a traditional cream colored settting for a unique spin.
- Traditional- Consider exploring Persian or Pakistani rug designs which have bold colors and eloaborate desgins.
Fibers Rugs are made of several different fibers that determine their appearance and performance.
- Natural Fibers (such as wool, cotton,silk) Are soft and come in low luster colors. They are often hand-made, provide long term performance and often cost more. Learn about the different types of wool rugs.
- Synthethic Fibers (such as Nylon, Polyester, Acrylic) Are available in in more brilliant colors. They are easy to maintain, soft and offer outstanding value. Synthetic fiber rugs, are often machine made, and sold at a reasonable cost.
Learn which is better? Wool or Synthetic Rugs
Thanks! Belinda Albo
Failure to plan is the most common furniture mistake. Be sure to check out the wide selection of furniture space planners, color wheels and furniture templates available from Furniche.com